361. In a cohesionless soil deposit having a unit weight of 1.5 t/m3 and an angle of
internal friction of 30°, the active and passive lateral earth pressure intensities
(in t/m2) at a depth of 10 m will, respectively, be
362.Given that for a soil deposit,
Kₒ = earth pressure coefficient at rest,
Kₐ = active earth pressure coefficient,
Kₚ= passive earth pressure coefficient
and μ = Poisson's ratio, the value of (1 - μ)/μ is given by
363. A and B are Skempton's pore pressure coefficients. For saturated normally
consolidated soils, A<1 and B=1
364. The changes that take place during the process of consolidation of a saturated clay would include a decrease in pore water pressure and
an increase in effective pressure
365. If the actual observed value of standard penetration resistance, N, is greater than 15 in a fine sand layer below water table, then the equivalent penetration resistance will be
A. Coefficient of compressibility-Stress - void ratio B. Compression index-Log stress void ratio C. Coefficient sub-grade modulus-Stress deformation
367.A dry sand specimen is put through a triaxial test. The cell pressure is 50 kPa
and the deviator stress at failure is 100 kPa. The angle of internal friction for the
sand specimen is 30°
368. The initial and final void ratios of a clay sample in a consolidation test are 1 and 0.5, respectively. If the initial thickness of the sample is 2.4 cm. then its final
thickness will be 1.8 cm
A part of the Newmark's influence chart with four concentric circles is shown in
by 1 and 2 will be equal
370. Consider the following statements regarding under-reamed piles:
1. They are used in expansive soils.
2. The ratio of bulb to shaft diameters is usually 2 to 3.
3. Minimum spacing between the piles should not be less than 1.5 times the
Plate load test - Load intensity and settlement values Standard Penetration test - SPT values Static Dutch Cone Penetration test - Total and frictional resistances Dynamic Peneration test - Ncd values
372. In standard penetration test, the split spoon sampler is penetrated into the soil stratum by giving blows from a drop weight whose weight (in kg) and free fall
(in cm) are, respectively, 65 and 75
373. To make certain that the backfill material is more pervious than the soil to be
drained, the relationship used is
374. Given that Plasticity Index (PI) of local soil = 15 and PI of sand = zero, for a
desired PI of 6, the percentage of sand in the mix should be 60
1. Electrical resistivity method of sub surface investigation is capable of
detecting only the strata having different electrical resistivity.
2. In-siru vane shear test is useful for determining the strength of very soft
soil and sensitive clays and is unsuitable for sandy soil.
376.A well-graded sand should have
1. uniformity coefficient greater than 6.
2. coefficient of curvature between 1 and 3
1. Increase in volume of a soil sample without external constraints on sub
mergence in water is termed as the 'free swell of soil'.
2. Generally, free swell of soil sample ceases when its water content reaches
the plastic limit
1. Coefficient of permeability of a soil mass decreases with increase in
viscosity of the pore fluid.
2. Coefficient of permeability of a soil mass increases with increase in
temperature of the pore fluid
1. 'Relative compaction' is not the same as 'relative density'.
2. Vibrofloatation is not effective in the case of highly cohesive soils.
380.The configuration of flow nets depends upon the boundary conditions of flow