Which one of the following pairs of parameters and expressions is not
403. The three stages which would be relevant to consolidation of a soil deposit includes
1. Initial consolidation
2. Primary consolidation
3. Secondary consolidation
404. As per Terzaghi's equation, the bearing capacity of strip footing resting on
cohesive soil (c = 10 kN/m²) for unit depth and unit width (assume N𝒸 as 5.7) is
405. With a vertical point load on the surface when considering the vertical plane
passing through the load, the stress gets reduced by 52.3% at a depth of
1 of unit length
406. Ratio of bearing capacity of double Under Reamed (U.R.) pile to that of single U.R. pile is nearly 1.5
407. A raft of 6 m x 9 m is founded at a depthof 3 m in a cohesive soil having c = 120 kN/m². The ultimate net bearing capacity of the soil using Terzaghi's theory will be nearly 820 KN/m²
408. The standard penetration resistance N of a granular deposit is found to be 20. The soil can be classified approximately in terms of Φ and density index respectively
32° and 50 % for medium condition
409. If the proportion of soil passing 75 micron sieve is 50% and the liquid limit and plastic limit are 40% and 20% respectively, then the group index of the soil is
a) Both A and R are true and R is the correct
explanation of A
b) Both A and R are true but R is not a correct
explanation of A
c) A is true but R is false
d) A is false but R is true
410. Assertion A : Black cotton soils are expansive soils.
Reason R : Black cotton soils are residual soils c
411. Assertion A : Lowering of ground water table causes settlement.
Reason R : Removal of neutral pressure increases the effective pressure
412. Assertion A : A rigid footing resting on sand layer and carrying uniformly
distributed load develops contact pressure, the magnitude of which is less at the edges than at the center of footing.
Reason R : In the case of a rigid footing, the settlement has to be uniform for which the contact pressure distribution is non-uniform.
413. Assertion A : Transition stage from semisolid state to solid state of soil is
termed as shrinkage limit.
Reason R : After the semisolid state, any reduction in water content will cause
shrinkage in the volume of the soil
414. Assertion A : The rate of settlement of buildings constructed on sandy clays are faster than those constructed on clayey soils.
Reason R : The rate of consolidation is dependent on permeability of soils.
415. Assertion A : Boussinesq equation is not suitable for sedimentary deposits.
Reason R : Sedimentary deposits do not represent an isotropic and
homogeneous system. a
416. Assertion A : All theoretical approaches indicate that at greater depths, bearing
capacity of pile base in sand is practically independent of its size and is proportional to overburden.
Reason R : When the depth of overburden is very great, the value of the
term "1/2γBNγ" of the bearing capacity equation is neglected for all practical
417. Assertion A : Plate load test is a field test to determine the ultimate bearing capacity of soil and also the probable settlement under a given loading
Reason R : The plate load test does not give the ultimate settlement, particularly
in the case of cohesive soils b
418. Assertion A : The quick sand leading to liquefaction is not a type of sand but a
flow condition occurring within a cohesionless soil when its effective pressure is reduced to zero.
Reason R : Equal amounts of the upward water pressure and the downward
pressure of the submerged soil mass are acting a
419. Assertion A :Terzaghi's bearing capacity theory is not applied to deep foundations.
Reason R : Shear strength is mobilized on the sides of deep foundations. c
420. Assertion A : Bearing capacity of an under-reamed pile is less than that of a
straight bored pile of the same diameter.
Reason R : Under-reamed piles have enlarged bulbs d